Search This Blog

November 28, 2010

OSU and Michigan Can Work Together

In my hometown newspaper on Friday, there was a touching story about a young man who was paralyzed in a horrific car accident Christmas Eve of 2007.  This young man was Brock Mealer, and his brother Elliot, who was also in the car that night, is the offensive lineman for the Wolverines.  Brock was just 13 credit hours away from graduating from Ohio State.  Even though the brothers went to rival schools, but colleges, and head football coaches, were able to help Brock during his recovery and provide him with great motivation and therapy.  I had heard this story before last year's match up between Michigan and Ohio State, and I remember crying during the whole thing.  What I failed to mention before was that Elliott's 17 year-old girlfriend, Hollis Richer, father, and mother were also in the car.  Elliott and his mother crawled out the window of the mangled car, the only two without life threatening injuries.  Hollis was dead beneath the vehicle, and their father was dead lying on top of Brock who was pinned by the twisted metal.  It gives me chills just thinking about this devastating night. No family should ever have to go through this disaster. I know I can't explain the story just how it went, so watch the video I have attached from an E:60 special that I had watched a year ago.  What this story doesn't mention is that Brock led his brother and the rest of the Wolverines onto the field for their season-opener against Connecticut, with the help of two canes and leg braces.  This is one of the most touching/sad/motivating stories one can hear. It goes to show that even two teams with the biggest rivalries, can pull together when needed to.

E:60 - Elliott Mealer

2 comments:

  1. Oh my lord did that make me cry or what! That is just such a powerful story of triumph. There is no doubt in my mind that Elliot is one of kind. Thank you for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a sad story!!! Thanks for sharing though. Makes you appreciate life more!

    ReplyDelete